Monday, June 9, 2008

Genius, unfulfilled. And that's okay.

When I was small, I used to take comfort in the possibility that I might, one day, become a genius. I think it was L.M. Montgomery books and Little Women, mostly. All these spirited girls brimful of imagination and snappy conversation, bursting out onto a world waiting with held breath (and corsages of beautiful roses) for their genius to emerge and shine on everyone gloriously.

Now I am (pretty near to probably) grown up, the harsh realities of my own inadequacies remind me constantly: no genius here. I've always known it, I think, but you know. When you are twelve you can dream.

Just lately, when I seem to see my own infallibility lit up around me like Las Vegas, I've come a little closer to understanding what the genius dream was all about. I think. And what life is showing me is that this genius thing was not so much a desire to be really brilliant at something, but a desire for people to think I'm really brilliant at something.

(Did I really just type that out loud? Ouch.)

I see the threads of this thought pattern hanging around even now. I compare my work to someone else's and, instead of simply being impressed by their greatness, I wish I was as good. Or someone offers an opinion that contradicts mine and I shrink into insecurity and decide my opinion must surely be the inaccurate one. Or I take a plunge with some creative endeavour or other and no one says it's good and lovely and wonderful and... was that really the only reason I was doing it?

That's why this word from Amy Carmichael's Rose from Brier came like pure, cutting poetry to a soul such as mine:

Let not thy peace be in the mouths of men.

We stand or we fall to God alone. I think this must become my catch-cry. Let not thy peace be in the mouths of men.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for that Danielle. I know I am a people pleaser. So often when I make mistakes the thought that comes first to my mind is "What will people think?" not "How I must have displeased God." Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write that and for being so honest.

    Love,

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.
    Welcome to enter (wow gold) and (wow power leveling) trading site, (wow gold) are cheap, (wow power leveling) credibility Very good! Quickly into the next single! Key words directly to the website click on transactions!

    2.
    Welcome to enter (wow gold) and (wow power leveling) trading site, (wow gold) are cheap, (wow power leveling) credibility Very good! Quickly into the next single! Key words directly to the website click on transactions!

    3.
    Welcome to enter (wow gold) and (wow power leveling) trading site, (Rolex) are cheap, (World of Warcraft gold) credibility Very good! Quickly into the next single! Key words directly to the website click on transactions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...