Friday, January 16, 2009

Flashback Friday :: best of oh-eight

[bargain of the week: adorable shoes; today; five bucks; yay!]


Bethany tagged me (hey! And I'm responding in something less than a month or two!) to share the bests of 2008.

[A good book I read] The Path of Loneliness by Elisabeth Elliot. Super.

[A great film I saw] Persuasion. Anne is the Austen girl I can perhaps most sympathise with. And Rupert Penry-Jones makes a most excellent Captain Wentworth.

[A new place I visited] Ben Lomond in Tasmania. I have one word for you: SNOW.

[An inspiring quote I read] Are you truly pleased with yourself as to the simple and lonely fact that God decided to create you in a certain way? (Harold Best, quoted in Scribbling in the Sand) I am frequently not pleased in that simple and lonely fact; I want to learn to be.

[A discovery I made] Cane toads really are as ugly as they are legendarily believed to be. Also, they stink when run over.

[A lesson I learned] Jesus as Lord means more than just Jesus as Lord of salvation; His lordship means sovereignty over here and now and every moment great or small.

[A new skill acquired] The ability to turn skirts into dresses.

[A moment I will always remember] Sitting in the playground of McDonald's at Coffs Harbour, thumbing through a cheap Christian paperback I'd bought at the op shop next door, waiting waiting waiting for the phone to ring and tell me my new little nephew had arrived. Only at that stage, I didn't know whether he'd be a niece or a nephew. Then the phone rang, and I heard the news, and I wanted so much to blurt it to the stranger sitting next to me, but I had to content myself with simply sending wild text messages to my brother.

----------
conversations:

Bethany -- there will always be more great books in the world than we can possibly read. I don't know whether this is exciting or depressing!

Beth -- it is always good to have some "wild erratic fancies" (as the poet Banjo Paterson puts it) on the list. Good luck with your marriage to Don. Next time I'm hanging out with him I'll put in a good word for you, okay?

Amanda -- I am never quite certain about the witty or mind-blowing bit, but there will be blog posts! :D Let's be nasty to sugar together in 2009!

5 comments:

  1. I love Elisabeth Elliot, too. I am watching Persuasion at the moment - the older one with Amanda Root as Anne. Anne is my favourite Austen character.
    I will be nasty to sugar, I just need to finish the chocolate I am eating at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for filling that in Danielle. I have never read any of Elisabeth Elliot's books but Mum has a quite a few and since you recommend them so highly I must dig into one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DeeDee. I love you. Just wanted to tell you that. :) And whenever I read something you've written, it makes me want to talk to you again, cos I do miss you. And I'm sorry I haven't written anything to you lately, I am very bad at my correspondence too. :( And I just want to hug you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, those shoes are soooo cuuuuute!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW do you turn a skirt into a dress?? HOW??

    Oh...wait...Okay...I think I remember that conversation, now!
    [I just had a Staish's Great Change of Mind Wardrobe Cleanout...so let's OppShop, baby!]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...